Anyone hoping to subdivide a property they own into two or more blocks will need a compliant subdivision survey carried out.

It is used to verify where existing boundaries on the property lie, and to accurately mark out where the proposed boundaries would exist if subdivision occurred. A plan is then drawn up by a town planner and submitted to local council for approval.

If you need help with a subdivision survey, reach out to the professional and licensed consultants at Queensland Surveying Solutions.

We service the southeast corner of the state – from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Logan and the Gold Coast. Our team uses the latest technology and always works towards the best outcome for every project.

Img_4666 resized


Subdivision surveys relate to the title of land from a 1 into 2 lot reconfiguration (subdivision), and to multi-lot Building Format plans (Strata) for larger developments.

Landowners who want to divide a lot into multiple blocks and need to determine the best options for land use, require a subdivision survey, including:

  • Homeowner or property owner
  • Property developer



We provide clear communication to ensure that our clients know what is happening at every step of the process.


We use the latest technology and are at the leading edge in professional development within our practice.


All our surveyors have years of experience and are fully qualified to provide accurate and comprehensive surveys.


We offer up front quotes with transparency and competitive pricing.


QSS have performed our works in a professional manor with great clarity and communication. Highly recommend their services. Thanks.
– Natalie & Andrew V.


STEP 1: Feasibility Study: This is usually done first, to determine if the proposed development would be supported by the relevant local authority (council).

This typically requires the services of a town planner and perhaps meetings with council to discuss achieving acceptable outcomes.

STEP 2: Contour Detail Plan: If the development is feasible then a contour detail plan is prepared in consultation with an engineer.

his plan compiles information regarding levels, existing structures, vegetation and services, and is used to determine a new lot layout and the location of new services.

STEP 3: Proposal Plan: A Proposal Plan, showing the proposed new layout, is drawn up by a town planner and submitted to council for approval in the form of a Development Application (DA).

Pre-lodgment meetings may be needed to resolve servicing issues.

STEP 4: DA Approved: Once the DA is approved, the council usually imposes conditions and fees that need to be paid.

A negotiated decision notice may be required if some of the proposals are not supported at first.

STEP 5: Operational works: The works, including earthworks and laying of new services, can now begin, as long as they comply with all conditions imposed in the approval.

New boundaries are marked and a formal plan is prepared and submitted to the Department of Natural Resources, Mines & Energy for examination.

Step 6: Plan Sealing Application: The approved plan is then submitted to the relevant council. Once all the conditions of the DA have been met, the plan is then sealed.

As part of this “plan sealing application”, the applicant is required to demonstrate how the development has been completed/constructed in accordance with all conditions of the relevant reconfiguring a lot or material change of use approval.

Step 7: Survey Plan Signed: If the local Council is satisfied that the conditions have been complied with, they will sign the back of the Survey Plan.

Step 8: Survey Plan Submitted: The applicant must then submit the Survey Plan and all relevant legal documents to the Titles Office for registration within six (6) months of the Survey Plan being sealed by Council.

Once the Survey Plan is registered, new titles are created and the units/lots can be settled.


  • Licensed professional carries out measurements and prepares plan
  • Survey provides clear picture of proposed layout options
  • Helps to determine if proposed land-use options are feasible
  • Allows accurate documents to be submitted to local authority for approval 


Can I subdivide my lot?

All councils have varying regulations surrounding subdividision. These are a few areas that need to be taken into consideration:

  1. Your area’s Residential Design Codes – these codes stipulate the density of housing allowed in an area along with minimum and average lot sizes.
  2. Is my land big enough?

The minimum lot sizes provided by your local council are only one aspect to consider when subdividing your land. A selection of the most common minimum lot sizes for standard zones are listed on each councils’ websites however, these are also subject to meeting requirements for minimum frontage, average width and development rectangle.

There are also some circumstances where the requirements vary:

  1. The Town Planning Scheme – Local Council.
  2. Position of existing dwellings.
  3. Does your block have any existing easements on the Certificate of Title?
  4. Are there any environmental constraints?

Where do I find more information in regard to my local councils’ regulations?

All councils have slightly different rules and regulations that surround subdivisions. Go to your local council’s website and check it out.



How To Tell If Your Neighbour Has Built Over The Boundary

Has there been some work going on next door that has made you wonder how to tell if your neighbour has built over the Boundary? At QLD Surveying Solutions we can help you identify the exact property boundary to determine if any further action needs to be

Land Surveyor New Home

If you’re building your forever home from scratch, you’ll need a land surveyor for a new home. At QSS, our experienced surveying consultants can help south-east Queenslanders with a variety of services, including property surveys, construction surveys and development surveys. Recently, we were engaged to complete a

Property Boundaries and Fences

When you’re trying to determine the location of property boundaries and fences, it’s important to call in professional surveyors, like the team at Queensland Surveying Solutions, to carry out an Identification Survey. This type of survey, also commonly called a boundary survey, is the only way to